Old 17-05-2020, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Rollin' right along ... now

In article , says...
That's all history and things have turned around and we're going
gangbusters here now . We have 19 tomato seedlings doing well , the
green beans (blue lake pole variety on a 5 foot tall trellis) are a
couple of inches tall . The cuke and zuke and acorn squash hills all
have seedlings now , and the salad greens I planted a few days ago are
coming

I have a queston about the squash.

I put some squash seeds on the "paper machay' type seed cups and used
the potting material that I use for tomato seeds. About half of the
squash seeds came up. A friend had some squash seeds that he put in
some potting pods and out of 12 pods, none of them came up. He later
put seeds from the same package out in the garden and they came up.

Is there something about the potting mix that the squash seeds do not
like ? Maybe they need to just be put in the garden soil ?

For tomatoes I started some inside and the plants were about 18 inches
tall. Put some outside after the first week of April. April 17 is the
average last frost date for the middle of NC. The forcast was for no
lower than 40 deg at night for the week before. Then in the 2nd week of
March some areas around here had frost. I tried something I read about
and put a lot of water during the day around the tomatoes. The 6 larger
and 8 smaller ones made it without any problem.