Old 17-05-2020, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
april april is offline

Default Garden pond.

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 5:50:11 PM UTC+1, Bob Hobden wrote:
On 17 May 2020 09:05, april wrote:
I have a smallish (around 6ft x 4 ft) pond. Its many years old, at

Suspect a Heron has taken all the frogs and newts or the pond has
turned toxic. Some leaves can do that as they rot.
If you want to keep the pond then clean it out and start again, it's a
very messy smelly job and the sludge is a very strong fertilizer so use
little and don't let it touch plants (or put on compost heap).
Once it's clean and you have replanted it then you need to put a
deterrent against Herons around it. They prefer to land on ground and
walk into water so some posts and fishing line pulled tight about 1 ft
above the ground right next to pond edge frightens them (usually).
Wildlife usually comes back eventually.
Do keep the water level up and try to stop leaves falling in (net in
autumn) Do you know which tree it is?
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

The tree is a leyandi Boulevard. It was small when we arrived but its now over 20 feet high. Its dead in the middle. My husband was removing it but had to stop when a bird took to nesting there.