Old 20-05-2020, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Giant thistle - or what??

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote:

it been SO dry lately, and a lot of the garden plants need the occasional
drink.

Think I've killed my second cordyline in 2 years, first one I think I
overwatered, determined not to make the same mistake again, I only
watered the replacement sparingly, but all of a sudden it looks parched
and hasn't reacted to having a good drink ...

A lot of the cause of such things is that stress allows root rots
to get a hold, and then the plant will die no matter what you do.
In my experience, 'correct' watering only reduces the risk of that,
but difficult weather increases it, watering or no. I have several
in my soil, one of which makes it impossible to grow several plants.

The one(s) that attack germinating seeds are extremely annoying, and
what I have learnt by trial and error still doesn't enable me to get
a decent emergence rate for the umbelliferae (e.g. carrots and parsley)
out of doors - and they don't transplant well :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.