Old 24-05-2020, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A different clematis problem

On 24/05/20 21:26, Vir Campestris wrote:
It says here that when you plant a clematis you should dig a hole 45cm
across and fill it with compost.

Do they mean it? What happens if you don't?

(we bought the plant, and nowhere near enough compost for all our needs)

Did it come in a 40 cm wide pot? ;-)

I dig a hole 4 cm or so cm wider than whatever pot or container it came
in, but in particular a couple of cm deeper, which is the important
part. That's in case it is susceptible to clematis wilt. I have no idea
why many planting instructions seem to be generous with other peoples'
money concerning compost. You can use compost, or the earth you dug out
(if it's crumbly enough). Most important, however, is to water the plant
well and make sure it keeps damp for the first couple of months.

--

Jeff