Old 25-05-2020, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A different clematis problem

On 24/05/2020 21:26, Vir Campestris wrote:
It says here that when you plant a clematis you should dig a hole 45cm
across and fill it with compost.

Do they mean it? What happens if you don't?

(we bought the plant, and nowhere near enough compost for all our needs)

Andy

I have seen similar advice, but I am firmly of the belief its not
needed, the plant will grow perfectly well in any normal garden soil and
filling a hole with "good stuff" just encourages it to stay in what is
effectively a container in the ground, much better it has to root out
all over the place.
If your soil is compacted I would break it up around the planting area

By far the most important thing you can do with any newly planted
clematis is to make sure it is well watered we use watering tubes to
make sure water reaches the bottom of the planting hole (unless planting
in autumn or winter when we dont bother

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall