View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Old 26-05-2020, 06:23 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2018
Default Tree ID help for a found branch?!

Hello to all, I posted two years ago about another tree identification and you were all wonderful! You identified the tree I had seen and I was so happy to learn something new.

I have another mystery (to me). In my local woods I found a section of broken branch and I brought it home in hopes of making a hiking stick from it.

The location was a wooded area in Leytonstone, East London, the woods being part of Epping Forest.

It's a long, slim branch very straight, about 2cm (1 inch) in diameter.

The colour is a light fawn brown, and there are small round whorls dotted about the bark, looking almost like leopard spots, and inbetween these are light veiny looking protrusions running vertically.

I think it was a branch, not the actual tree, but I can't be sure as it was lying broken on the ground when I came across it. I looked around but couldn't find a tree that it would have been from, couldn't find a tree missing it's branch, so I don't know where it came from and which tree it belonged to. It still has a green underskin visible in the broken place, and the inside is a soft, milky white core.

I've looked around online for myself but can't find anything that shows young branch bark only mature tree barks. Any help would be wonderful.

I have posted the image he
https://i.postimg.cc/sgvDJcpG/IMG-5037.jpg