Old 29-05-2020, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Last year's (still bagged) compost

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Dunno, but I once saw a 'use by' date on a packet of salt :-)

That one isn't quite as daft as it sounds. Table salt has some modifiers
in it to encourage free running even in our damp climate. It will
eventually set like a rock if you leave it on the shelf for too long.

Only if your storage location is damp, and then the date is irrelevant,
because it won't last that long. In any case, just belt it with a
mallet or even a fist and it becomes usable again. The anti-caking
agent is magnesium carbonate, which doesn't go off, either.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.