Old 29-05-2020, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Seed drill - clusters germinating but gaps

On 28/05/2020 14:15, David wrote:
As an experiment I've used a large deep plastic tray/box of compost as a
seed bed.

I sowed four drills of different herbs across the box (and thought I would
remember which was which!) and seedlings are now emerging.

However there isn't a nice stright line across the box, but clumps of
germination and spaces.

It is possible/likely that I didn't spread the seeds evenly.

However it is also possible that I sowed fine seeds a bit too deep.
If that is the case, would gently stirring up the fallow bits perhaps
stimulate a second burst of germination?
I am assuming that someone has had a similar problem and tried various
methods to solve it.

I am not short of seedlings (so no real need for a second sowing) but just
curious.

Cheers

Dave R

For fine seed always water by immersing the tray then allowing it to
drain rather than overhead watering. I think you will find that will
stop the problem

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall