Old 30-05-2020, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
D.M. Procida D.M. Procida is offline

Default Hedgehogs

Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sat, 30 May 2020 14:12:05 +0100,
(D.M. Procida) wrote:

Around here, there are some parks with plenty of hedgehogs in them.
Unfortunately the roads around the parks have many hedgehogs in them
too, which I normally find dead.

Our garden would be ideal for hedgehogs (full of slugs, secret shady
corners, sheltered places), but none have ever made their way in.

The other night I watched a hedgehog make a perilous trip across the
suburban road and felt quite tempted to adopt it. But, I don't want to
disturb wildlife, or mess about with things I don't know.

What's the access like to your garden for hedgehogs? Is it surrounded
by impenetrable wooden fencing, or are there plenty of holes and gaps
for them to get in? No gaps = no hedgehogs! Or perhaps you have a cat
or dog that has frightened them off.

The only access is via a passageway which leads to the front, and a
suburban street on which every household seems to have two if not three
cars.

I read that hedgehogs like to wander about for hours at night and cover
long distances for such short legs. If they were coming and going for
long walks, I don't think our garden would be an ideal base sadly.

Daniele