Old 05-06-2020, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bought compost grumble - HomeBase vs Humax

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

I misunderstood the reason for the sterilisation! How about a different
tack if you have the space and time...

Prepare the compost as you would for sowing, but don't sow anything.
Water well, and cover with something transparent/translucent. Leave to
allow weeds to germinate. When they have, hoe or remove them. Turn the
compost over, water again, cover, and leave for the slower-germinating
or deeper weed seeds to appear. Hoe or remove as before. If you think
there could be more, you could repeat again but I doubt it would be
necessary. Then sow the seeds you want. I admit it's a bit of a
rigmarole, but it's free!

I thought of that, but don't really want to spare the space and time.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.