Old 14-06-2020, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David[_24_] David[_24_] is offline

Default Bought compost grumble - HomeBase vs Humax

On Thu, 04 Jun 2020 11:43:51 +0000, David wrote:

I was surprised when I opened my first bag this year of HomeBase Multi-
purpose Compost.
It wasn't like the other stuff that I had been using - for example Humax
that I bought (for more) at a farm shop before HomeBase reopened.
It was coarse and fibrous; a bit like the stuffing of an ancient
mattress.
I can't see it being fine enough to sow any but the largest seeds, and
overall it looks very strange.

I would expect that most composts would have some soil and/or sand in to
give a finer grained component.
At least some finer ground organic matter instead of just coarse clumps.

I donm't recall last year's compost being like this.

Is it just me?

As well as the standard compost I have now opened a peat free from HomeBase
and a small bag of compost from Lidl.
All three look identical - that is fibrous with few small particles and no
sign of sand or soil.

I used to make up a mix of HomeBase compost, HomeBase garden soil, and
HomeBase farmyard manure with chicken manure and Growmore added and this
seemed to suit most things.

This year has been a bit disrupted but I've just bought some garden soil
from HomeBase and will try and give it a go again.

Lock down complicates the simplest things.

Cheers

Dave R