Old 16-06-2020, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Dobbies

On 14/06/2020 11:40, Chris Green wrote:
Broadback wrote:
i ordered geranium plants from them, some time ago. A delay in sending
due to slow growth. Acceptable. However they were due to arrive on
Friday, not sign of them, when I contacted them no reply from them. They
blame the lockdown for slow responses. Why? Other companies are managing
fine. I will not order from them again, that is for sure!

Yes, most of my 'favourite' online/mail-order companies seem to be
coping pretty well with the lockdown - e.g. screwfix, toolstation, CPC
and most eBay suppliers.

Screwfix/Toolsatan seem to be still operating on a limited stock
availability with quite a lot still not available. In my local Screwfix
many of the behind counter shelves are barely populated. They are also
operating with a much reduced staff level indicating possibly much lower
sales than normal.

There have been quite a few things I've wanted on Ebay where the number
of people or companies adverting the product have fallen in number often
resulting in suppliers with the product increasing prices. In one case
something that was available from many suppliers in January for £25 for
5 litres currently is only available from a couple of suppliers at £30
for 1 litre.

Try to buy certain building supplies and see what's available!

However gardening businesses seem to have a problem, we waited *ages*
for an order from Littlefields Farm to arrive and I can't really see
why they can't at least answer the phone or respond to e-mails.

Not geared up with a large call centre or possible not with a large IT
department geared up for people working from home (answering phones)? If
a company didn't have the necessary infrastructure for remote IT working
prior to the lockdown and self isolation they are unlikly to have it
now, Even when companies have people working from home to answer phones
it doesn't mean that they can sort out problems because they may only
have limited access to other company facilities.