Old 19-06-2020, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tahiri[_4_] Tahiri[_4_] is offline

Default Monkey puzzles

My thirty year old monkey puzzle grew cones for the first time last year
which will presumably fall this year. The only other monkey puzzles in the
vicinity are tiny immature ones so how did mine manage to have cones? Or
have I got the wrong idea - will they just be cones with no nuts in them?
Are the cones usually intact when they drop or do they fall to pieces first?
How do I tell when they are ready to drop?
I understand the nuts, if I get any, are edible. Are they eaten raw or
cooked?
I am guessing they don't self-seed, or young plants would not be as dear as
they usually are!