Old 24-06-2020, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Boots to wear when using strimmer - recommendations?

David Hill wrote:
On 24/06/2020 09:06, Chris Green wrote:
alan_m wrote:
On 23/06/2020 12:58, Chris Green wrote:

The damage you get with a strimmer is debris and twigs hitting you
mid-calf in my experience, in addition you need a way to prevent
'bits' (as in stinging nettle leaves and chunks of bramble) dropping
into the boots that are protecting your legs. Hence my original
request for 'velcro flaps' to pull the boot tight around the lower
leg.

Army gaiters?

Yes, for long term use they might make sense but a bit of a faff if
you just want to pick up the strimmer and clear the edge of the patio
(for example). That's why my old motorcycle boots are so handy, slip
them on quickly (which is easy) and away you go.

I do wonder if you are worried about nettles brambles and twigs when you
are clearing the edge of your Patio.

Well yes, that's true, it was just a 'for example'. In reality much
of the strimmer use is rough ground in the orchard and bramble
infested areas around two garages.

I just wear wellies with trousers tucked in and just pulled up a little
so they bunch at the top of the wellies.
Otherwise you culd use cloth fastened around the top of your boots

Yes, I suspect that's what most people do.

--
Chris Green
ยท