Old 26-06-2020, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant IDs

On 26/06/2020 13:27, Jeff Layman wrote:
It's a BOGOF offer this week!

The first one is a self seed which first appeared several weeks ago. It
is now about 80 cm high and is forming flower buds.
https://ibb.co/5k5WbPD
A Google reverse image search didn't help as it seemed to focus on
Cotinus coggygria!

Atriplex hortensis

The second one I bought this morning. It intrigued me as I couldn't
identify it straight off; I thought it might be Lamiaceae, but the
leaves when crushed are almost odourless. This small shrub is about 40
cm wide and 15 cm high, although it might have been trimmed. The flowers
are around 12 mm long, and the leaves are about 7 mm long, and quite
thick. The whole plant, perhaps with the exception of the petals, has
small, thick hairs. As far as I can tell, there are four stamens and the
ovary is superior, but these flowers are very small and difficult to
dissect. I'll be pleased if it proves to be hardy, but those leaves
suggest otherwise..
https://ibb.co/PZfd8DP
https://ibb.co/0Dtk0vF

My working hypothesis is Prostanthera rotundifolia.

--
SRH