Old 30-06-2020, 07:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Pond liners

On 30/06/20 18:14, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
We have a low-lying, boggy garden with a stream running through it. Come
the lockdown and Lady Goss-Custard decided to have a pond. So we got a
guy in with a mini JCB and he dug a hole about 5.5m by 3.3m by 1m deep.
There is about nine inches depth of topsoil, below that it is all solid
yellow clay.

Having dug the pond, we ordered the butyl liner, only to find it would
take a couple of weeks to arrive. A few days after the digging, and
before the liner arrived, the rain absolutely chucked it down for a
couple of days, so that the surface run-off filled the pond almost to
the top. The level has stayed steady ever since, two weeks now.

In the meantime the liner has arrived. The dilemma is now: Do we leave
the pond as it is, without a liner, on the assumption that it will stay
full of water and the walls will not collapse? Or should we pump all the
water out, put the liner in and pump water back in to fill it up again -
which we foresee will be a very dirty and unpleasant job now that
everything is sodden? If we do put the liner in and refill, what will
happen in the next downpour - will rainwater get in behind the liner and
balloon it inwards into the pond?

You don't just put the butyl liner in the excavated earth. You need make
sure you've removed any sharp objects - particularly stones - which
could pierce the butyl liner. Then you need to line the "hole" with sand
or layers of something else several cm thick. That guards against any
sharp objects you have missed. More information he
http://www.pondexpert.co.uk/fittingandfillingaliner.html

So you will have to pump out the pond anyway before fitting the liner.
Once the lined pond is full of water, it won't make any difference if
rainwater gets behind the liner as the pressure inside and out will be
equal.

--

Jeff