Old 03-07-2020, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pwllgloyw[_2_] Pwllgloyw[_2_] is offline

Default Courgette fruit staying small - long but slim

I have a similar situation with my green ones. They are about 6 inches
long with the flower closed but still attached - one of them the flower
is now turning brown and shriveling. Grown in pots with a mixture of
garden soil and a bit of potting compost. Two pots, close to each other,
both with male and female flowers open, so hopefully the bees should do
their work.

Not sure what to feed them with though.

Roger T

On 03/07/2020 12:16, David wrote:
The courgettes (three different varieties) are fruiting, but the fruits
are not swelling fully.

The yellow one, for example, grows fruit to about 5" long but only very
slim.
They don't swell (an early one did part way along near the base) and after
a while go a deeper yellow which suggests that they are ripe.

I'm trying to work out if this is lack of pollination or just adverse
growing conditions.

They are grown in pots in a rich mix which started out with plenty of
nutrients, but I am about to start feeding.

I can't find out if lack of pollination lets the fruit grow long. Most
references suggest that the fruit will either be discarded or will rot
from the flower end.

Cheers

Dave R