Old 05-07-2020, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Andrew Andrew is offline

Default Pond liners

On 05/07/2020 07:14, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
Chris Hogg posted
On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 17:17:41 -0700 (PDT), Phil
wrote:

Clay used to be used before there were butyl liners of course. Leave
as is & see how it goes?

If it's in boggy ground and has a stream, the hole is probably at or
below the water table and will be self sustaining, except perhaps in
periods of very dry weather when it may dry up and need topping up
from a tap. But that happens to ponds even with a liner. If the stream
isn't actually running through it now, you could encourage at least a
portion of the flow into and then back out of the pond, either by
buried pipes, or by an attractive and landscaped wiggly 'stream', with
rocks, slate etc to make it look not like a simple trench.

We have pretty much decided to leave it as is without the liner. The
level still hasn't gone down - it drops by maybe half an inch after a
few sunny days and then rises back up to the topsoil level after rain.
We get quite a lot of rain here in Devon so it should be ok.

Red clay + straw = cob. Many Devon houses built with it, including
a new one, as seen on Grand Designs about 10 years ago.

The main drawback is that the clay makes the water cloudy. It is
clearing gradually, but I expect the next heavy downpour will stir it up
again. At least the dragonflies are now attending regularly.

So we now have an unused liner in the shed - too late to return it now.