Old 06-07-2020, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default bug eaten Napa Cabbage

On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 11:51:04 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Found the culprits. Went out to water at 23:00 or so.
All three plans were swarming with earwigs.

So I squirted straight 7th generation disk soup
on them and then put the water wand on "shower"
The little *******s had to swim for it through
the soapy water.

Probably do it again tonight.

i have three broccoli plants and
three cauliflower plants. four days
ago they were looking ok. today all but
one of the plants is eaten back to the
ribs/ridges of the leaves and the
broccoli flower heads are gone too.

probably the groundhog got them.

i hate to have to trap animals to
deal with, but this one is being a lot
more intrusive into the fenced gardens
than usual.

songbird

I bought a game camera which I put out in the garden at night. It uses infrared light so the animals don't notice. Lots of activity out there after dark. Last night I got a movie of a fox, who won't bother the garden, but a couple of raccoons were checking out the corn, which will ripen soon. I put traps out this afternoon. Like you, I hate to have to trap them, but they won't leave anything for us if I don't.

Paul