Old 10-07-2020, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Question about regular peas

Gary wrote:
Many times in the past, we picked peas from a local farm.
Would come home and "shell" them for the peas inside.
The pods looked pretty nice and a shame to toss out which
we did.

My question is: are those pods edible too?

pod edibility depends upon variety of pea.
some are very delicious and others aren't that
good at all.

when they dry some peas are really good for
making soup and others aren't as good but can
be used in case of starvation. mostly though
these types of peas are best eaten when they
are still forming in the pod when the peas are
very tender and sweet. some of these peas are
also good as pods (steamed or fresh).

Talking about "regular" peas here.

there are many different varieties of peas.

If so, couldn't you just slice them like green beans
and eat pod with peas inside?
Just like you do with snow peas.

yes, the other day i ate a few of these pods
right from the garden.

http://www.anthive.com/img/edibles/t...d_Peas_thm.jpg

Maybe not as I've never seen them sold commercially, canned
or frozen, still in the pods.

peas are best eaten fresh from the garden (standing in
the garden in my experience). same with pea pods. i
much prefer them uncooked and crunchy. peas in the pods
can vary by how long they remain in an edible form in
the pods. some peas will turn bitter and hard so they
aren't as good as when they first form in the pod. some
peas aren't all that great within a few days of forming
and others can last longer and still be quite good. just
variations upon the type of pea.

canned peas are gross. i'll eat them if i'm starving
but otherwise prefer other forms. frozen is acceptable
but fresh is always better. sometimes we shell them out
and steam them for a few minutes and put a bit of butter
on them.

Are those pods food or fertilizer for the next year?

all debris from garden plants are future plant food.

songbird