Old 19-07-2020, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Green Thumb?

On 19/07/2020 12:52, AnthonyL wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 16:35:33 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 15/07/2020 16:45, AnthonyL wrote:
Any experiences. My near neighbour swears by them and his lawn is in
a far better state than mine. But I'm wary of franchise operations
but presumably they have access to better
chemicals/fertilisers/weedkillers than the rubbish I seem to get - or
they are better at applying it.

greenthumb.co.uk

They sound to me a bit like the US ChemLawn franchise which does what it
says on the tin but with a more UK friendly eco greenwashed name.

If you like your lawns to be a featureless green monoculture desert of
grass with absolutely nothing else left alive and obtained at any cost
to the environment then it is for you.

It's not my choice

When I'm not looking SWMBO gets the mower out on its lowest settings
just as a dry spell is about to arrive and the lawn has less cover
than my head. I'm sorely tempted to put a locking bolt through the
mechanism.

I prefer my lawn with some small wild flowers in it and only really
persecute dandelions, ground elder and buttercups. Clover is in flower
right now. One application of weed and feed in the spring and a couple
of spot weeding sessions with a broadleaf specific weedkiller combined
with regular cutting is plenty good enough. It looks much more
interesting with some smaller wild flowers left in it.

However there are now large patches of no grass rather than grass
interspersed with a few daisies.

I buy my spring weed and feed in the Autumn get rid quick sale when they
are making room for Dracula's Cave/Santa's Grotto. The trick to applying
it is to spread it evenly over the whole area. It can burn the grass if
applied incorrectly or not watered in within a couple of days.

Thanks for the "heads up".

Yes it does burn but the grass comes back fine

Use it with plenty of water - natural or otherwise - to get it soaked in