Old 21-07-2020, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Butternut squash

In article ,
David Rance wrote:
This year I am growing squashes for the first time. They are producing
plenty of female flowers which are now opening, but there are no male
flowers with which to ..... er, fertilise (is that the right word?)
them. There are buds of male flowers but they never develop.

So, do squashes need to be fertilised in the same way as courgettes? I
do have some courgette plants alongside the squashes which *are*
producing a few male flowers. Can I fertilise the squashes from them?

Most squashes grown in the UK are Cucurbita pepo, as are courgettes,
so it should work. Hubbards, Crown Prince etc. are C. maxima,
Butternut and Tromboncino d'Albenga are C. moschata, and probably
won't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.