Old 21-07-2020, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Butternut squash

In article ,
David Rance wrote:

Thanks, Nick. The seeds from which I grew the plants were saved from a
squash I bought in Waitrose in January. The label doesn't say what
variety they are (apart from the label saying "Golden Butternut Squash"
which I suppose is a description rather than a variety!) but says they
were grown in Greece. Well, we'll have to see what happens. I don't
think the first female flower was pollinated properly as the fruit is
two inches long and hasn't grown for a week. Two later ones do seem to
be getting larger and are between three and four inches long. I don't
expect them to grow to the proportions of the original but anything will
be worth having.

Perhaps. I have never had any trouble with fruit setting, despite
sometimes having had only one plant of C. moschata, but you will be
lucky if any mature, let alone ripen enough to be worth eating. It's
very marginal in the UK. Tromboncino d'Albenga does well, but is eaten
unripe (like a superior courgette). C. moschata and maxima, are always
trailing types and get quite large.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.