Old 24-07-2020, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Long hedge with minimum maintenance

On 22/07/2020 12:02, john west wrote:
Someone we know if having to install a hedge due to neighbouring
developments some 50 metres long and they want it to be eventually six
feet tall.
Getting on in years they need it to be essentially minimum maintenance.
They have been told Laurel doesn't look good if cut down with hedge
cutters as a lot of leaves don't go brown after being cut in half.
They have also be told leylandi type conifers don't grow around dead
patches so that could be a problem?
Grateful for any suggestions please.

We have a long Laurel hedge which is on top of a retaining wall above a
pavement, it is very hard to maintain and for years I did it by hand
with secateurs having heeded the warnings of brown leave if a hedge
trimmer was used, my son now does it for me with his power extended
hedge trimmer and it is absolutely fine and looks good very soon after
cutting which happens once a year in August. were I one of his customers
he says he would charge around £150 for cutting and removal of trimmings

However with any hedge one should never forget the other side! is there
access?

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall