Old 01-08-2020, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Cucumber questions

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 8:30:54 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
Hi All,

This is my first year growing regular cucumbers.
Prior years I grew lemon cucumbers, but they were
a complete loss

1) How do I know when they are ready to pick?

2) they are planted in a row of ground pots.
I move their vines perpendicular to the
row of pots but they keep move back towards
each other. Is this by design? Cross
pollination needs? Should I just let them
do their thing?

Many thanks,
-T

Pick them when they get to the size you see at the grocery store. Don't let them go too long as they will turn yellow as they ripen. I planted some years ago and didn't know how productive they were; we ate all we can and pickled some. There were so many that even my daughter's pony got tired of them and refused to eat any more.

My wife currently grows them in cages, like tomato cages. The plants seem to like it and it keeps them from spreading all over the garden.

After a very dry month, we finally got a good soaking rain here. It rained all day today. More is expected as that hurricane is supposed to track up the east coast this week.

Paul