Old 03-08-2020, 01:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default Rosemary and Green Onion babble.

Hi All,

Just some small black thumb gardening talk:

I have been watering my rosemary plant more and it
has seems to give me better cooking sprigs. I
use some to cook pork chops. I have yet to
try chicken.

Is watering all there was to it?

I cut off the seed balls from my green onions (scallions)
as a Songbird directed me. That left two foot long
open at the top 1/2" tubes. The plants just stayed
that way for two weeks. Then a couple of thunderstorms
filled the tubes with water and nasty looking
things took up residence in the tubes. So I cut the
tubes off down by the base where they were solid.

Then something wonderful happened. This week I go out
and the plants had all sprung up two foot leaves.
A lot of them. And the winds had blown a few over.
Since they were not doing the plant any good that
way, I harvested them. Had some for breakfast.

This is marvelous. I thought the plant would just
slowly die, having flowered. And being that
I have trouble getting regular onions to bulb (too
short a growing season) and these things grow all
winter long, they may be the perfect substitute
for regular onions until I get regular onions
figured out.

Life is good. Thriving, not just surviving.

-T