Old 15-09-2020, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default calcium for alkaline soil

On 2020-09-14 16:19, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

I am getting blossom rot on few of my peppers. My
research says that this is due to a lack of calcium
in my soil.

I have seen recommendations to grinding up a TUMS, but
my soil is already alkaline.

What would you guys use to add calcium to alkaline soil?
Calcium citrate from the vitamin store is too expensive.

often it is called a lack of calcium, but what it may
also indicate is uneven watering or the lack of a decent
root system to support the plant and the development of
fruits.

also when you have very alkaline soils you should be
aiming to get the pH back towards neutral. adding calcium
will not do that. adding gypsum will not change pH.

adding organic matter and improving the garden soil in
a big enough area to support the plant and then making sure
it gets enough water is helpful.

making sure there is a wind block, mulch to prevent
water loss.

also perhaps there are peppers which will do better
in your climate, so research selections for your area
and soil type and see if there are any alternatives.

these are things i would work on.

songbird

I water three times a week. I did missing one watering
in the heat of August though. My two zukes got really
****ed at me.

Now-a-days, the soil feels ever so slightly damp when
I touch it before watering. And my sold changes color when
it dries out.

But, I don't know what I am doing, so...