Old 23-09-2020, 09:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default can you germinate horse chestnuts?

On 9/23/2020 11:14 AM, bilsch01 wrote:
I tried sprouting horse chestnuts several times with no success however
it seems there must be a way. I had success with grocery store
chestnuts, and even got one to grow outside for a couple years, but the
young tree died for some reason.

TIA. Bill S.

According to Sunset's "Western Garden Book", the seeds should sprout
quite readily. Perhaps the seeds you tried were damaged, not
sufficiently ripe, or too old.

Note that horse chestnuts and "real" chestnuts are not at all related.
Horse chestnuts are in the soapberry family (Sapindaceae). Chestnuts
are in the beech family (Fagaceae) and have mostly died out in North
America and western Europe because of the chestnut blight.

--
David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

A prayer for the days leading towards the Jewish holy days.

For those who hate, Let there be no hope,
And may all derision and disdain perish in an instant.
May intolerance be swiftly cut down.
May You quickly uproot, crush, cast down, and humble the arrogant,
Speedily in our days.
Blessed are You, Adonai, Who destroys enemies and humbles the arrogant.
— Alden Solovy

Heed this, President Trump!