Old 21-09-2020, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default first frost

Only rarely do we have frost before Hallowe'en and most years not until
December or January, if at all. I keep watering stations for whatever
itinerant beasts might wander by and they rarely have any evidence of
frost or of freezing.

we empty them out and cover them up for the winter to
prevent freezing damage from taking them out.

raccoons/etc. have two almost constantly running drainage
ditches to get water from all year, the birdbaths they will
use at times, as will the deer and the bees, but mostly i
want them for attracting the birdies, which act as bug
harvesters and fertilizer makers.

Spent the greater part of yesterday cutting a couple of rampant
muscadine vines back into submission and shall continue that project
today. That's a real treat which some might find entertaining to watch,
given my lack of coordination and muscle control. Those vines normally
are pruned for production only after dropping their leaves in autumn but
these two are completely out of bounds and have climbed into nearby
trees. Maybe after one more coffee and the Vivaldi recording on the box
is done. But then, again, maybe it'll rain....

no rain in the forecast here until next Saturday or so, but
that can change...

perfect weather really. if it were like this the whole
summer we'd be pretty well set for getting a lot more done
around here. then again, i don't mind having a good excuse
for a siesta when it gets too hot outside.

grape vines can produce a large amount of extra growth.
i used to keep some vines as a kid and then here for a
few years... just chop the sticks small enough so that
they'll dry out in a season and then they won't have an
easy time regrowing.

we have wild grape vines here that would gladly take
over anything they can climb on. every once in a while i
have to cut them back. it is too bad they don't actually
work well for erosion control.

songbird