Old 02-10-2020, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Sweet Potatoes

On Thursday, October 1, 2020 at 4:02:09 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:

I harvested the sweet potatoes this morning. We had a 25' row, about 3/4 regular yellow and the rest white sweet potatoes. The yellow did very well, we got at least 20# of good sized potatoes, but the white ones only produced two medium sized and the rest were just little shriveled ones, same as last year.

Does anyone have the secret to growing white sweet potatoes? They're very good when baked but our recent crops have been too small for baking.

i've never heard of them before, but i wonder if the
method of making sure the energy for the vines is only
going into the central clump would help...

What method is that?

our soil here is way too wrong for sweet potatoes in
most gardens so we've not tried to grow them here since
i've been around.

For the potato rows, I till sand, compost, and a little perlite into the soil to break it up and make it easier for the potatoes to grow. I thought it was strange that the yellow ones grew well but the whites didn't. The vines and leaves look the same for the two varieties. My wife put a marker in between the two so that we could tell which was in each section.

songbird