Old 06-10-2020, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default a few squash pics

Pavel314 wrote:
I planted buttercups this year and didn't think they yielded anything. Recently, I went out to the pumpkin patch and noticed 7 or 8 of them hiding under the leaves of the pumpkin vines. The cantaloupes did well, but we didn't get anything from the petit gris melons. The vines were very petit and got buried under the vines and leaves of the usual pumpkins.

Petit Gris Melons were new for us this year and i put them at
the sides and ends of two gardens so the vines could sprawl on
the rocks and pathways. they did great. for six vines we had
about 40 melons total and we ate about 25 of them (at least).
next year we're not planning on planting so many since we can't
keep up with that many at a time. we ended up giving away
about a dozen. towards the end of the season the flavor does
decrease which is a sad thing, but they are still edible. i'm
planning on growing them again next year.

i have a billion seeds saved from these.

We planted blue hubbards for a few years now; they tend to keep well for several months if kept cool. We put the pumpkin harvest in out unheated garage and if any are noticed spoiling, they go over the fence to the sheep, who really enjoy a pumpkin treat after a couple of months of hay.

do you have to cut them up first?

how do you describe the flavor/texture of a hubbard?

Looks like a good harvest of the Dikenson pumpkins this year; those are the commercial variety that get processed into the pumpkin pie filling you find at the grocery store.

squash and pumpkin are pretty much the same thing. when you
read up on what the big processors use for their pie filling it
is a squash variety. i'm always happy with pumpkin pies and
wouldn't mind having the filling home made but in recent years
we've taken to eating things without crusts instead so we do
more like apple crisps and puddings with fruits and such.

songbird