Old 02-11-2020, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default garlic question

On 2020-10-31 10:29, songbird wrote:
Frank wrote:
These were just grocery store bought for eating.Â* Doubt that info would
be available.

Â*Â* likely a softneck garlic then.Â* no idea how cold hardy
those might be planted in a pot, but you are far enough
south that perhaps they'll be ok.

Â*Â* songbird

Maybe.Â* We grow garlic out here on commercial farms. And
a lot for seeds too.Â*Â* Trying to figure out what variety
they are is TOP SECRET.Â* The only thing I can tell you
about them is that they are soft neck.

I have a feral bin just for such silliness.Â* I planted
green onion onions stubs from the grocery store and
two years later they are still going at it!Â* At
Songbird's direction, I even collected seeds to try
to grow them legitimately this years.

I have some garlic in the feral bin that is three
years old.Â* What a mess.Â* Looks like grass growing
at this point.Â* Grass shoots that taste like garlic.
Hmmmm..... Maybe I pick those???

Commercial growers are not going to choose things
that are hard to grow.

So basically what Songbird said.Â* Give it a try!Â* Love
to hear back on the results.

Will let you know. The garlic, half dozen plants, is still flourishing
in a deck pot maybe because we have yet to have had a hard freeze.

For some reason she also planted a couple of cloves in a pot with a
little holly tree she has been nursing for a couple of years. She said
it looked drooping and told me to plant it in an open spot out front
under a Norway spruce. It was getting pot bound and cloves did not
want to be pulled so I left them. Will be interesting to see if they
survive too.