Old 29-12-2020, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David[_24_] David[_24_] is offline

Default Tree planting - potted trees

We have two apple and two plum trees in plastic pots,as a holding position
until we plant them out.

Planted (I think) around August from smaller pots.

The ground now is very wet after all the rain, but not frozen.
I understand that dormant fruit trees can be planted out almost any time
the ground isn't frozen.
However I may be wrong.

Trees in pots have done OK over previous years, so I think that they are
safe from cold and frosty weather.

The dilemma is if it is better to wait until the ground dries out a bit,
or if it is better to plant now and remove any risk of frost getting to
the pots.

Three pots are 13" internal diameter and the fourth is 18".

The trees are small enough that I could bring them under cover (plastic
roof with the sides open to the elements) but I'm not sure that this is
necessary.

Coastal East Anglia so generally quite mild.

Cheers

Dave R