Old 04-01-2021, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bloke Down The Pub Bloke Down The Pub is offline

Default How to inspire confidence!

"songbird" wrote in message
Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
Same here and I am forever amazed at the amount we put in the bin
compared
with the amount that comes out. I like to think of it as my secret
concentrator.

vegetable and food scraps are mostly water.

i've been dehydrating food scraps for many years now and
it never ceases to amaze me at how much they will shrink by
the time they are done.

i dehydrate them because it is an easy way to store them
until i get them put into the worm buckets. when they get
put into the worm buckets they soak up water again and the
worms chomp their way through them pretty quickly.

songbird

My kitchen waste goes in to a 2 litre box and that is emptied in to, I would
guess a 50 litre, black compost bin, with a lid to keep the flies, parrots
and ravens at bay. I have never seen the compost bin more than half full
and that would be on a leaf collection binge. As the bin is lightweight
plastic with an open bottom I move it about the garden every 3 to 6 months
and just rake what's there in to the current garden bed.

Mike