Old 05-01-2021, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potting up tulip bulbs from active plants

On 05/01/2021 15:15, David wrote:
We received a novel floral gift today.
A bouquet of tulips with the bulbs still attached.
The instructions suggest potting up the bulbs.

T'Internet suggests drying them out during the summer after flowering then
potting them up in October.
Well, that doesn't fit the time scales.

So should they be dried then potted up, or should they go straight into
the pots now and be watered so that they have some chance of flowering
again in spring?

I assume that they have been grown under glass in a heated greenhouse so
again I'm not sure how they would take to being potted up then chucked
outside (under cover) at this cold time of the year.

I'd pot them up without delay, and if possible keep them indoors in a
light (south or west-facing), window but preferably in an unheated room.
There's no way they will flower again this year. They will need time to
develop a new flower bud and have enough time for their leaves to feed
the bulbs, as they've been forced into flowering months early and will
need a lot of time to recover. When their leaves die back in summer,
give them a rest before starting them into growth again in November or
December.

--

Jeff