Old 01-02-2021, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snowdrops out a little

On 01/02/2021 11:39, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 1 Feb 2021 11:27:33 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 01/02/2021 09:37, Martin Brown wrote:

Aconites are out in force.

I've often wondered about trying to grow them; I've heard they can be a
bit awkward. Were yours from bulbs or from plants "in the green"?

I bought 50 bulbs a couple of years ago, although despite being 'in
the green' and delivered early in the year, they seemed rather dry
when they arrived. Only about 10% appeared the following year, and
this year I don't see any. As you say, awkward.
https://tinyurl.com/yxbmekq7

It's one of those bulbs you see offered in packs from numerous
suppliers, some "in the green", and some as pots already growing and in
flower. But I think I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of
times I've seen bulbs in flower in the ground. Compare that to crocuses
and snowdrops, and they just have /have/ to be difficult.

There's a garden centre a few miles away who always has a sales table.
It is often possible to find pots of bulbs where the flowers have gone
over for at least half price, sometimes lower. I might have a look the
next time I go to see if there are any pots of Eranthis.

--

Jeff