Old 08-02-2021, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gary Woods[_2_] Gary Woods[_2_] is offline

Default Impatiens Lighting question

OK, probably not edible, but:
I'm starting some impatiens from seed, the new disease-resistant
"Imara SDR" and online instructions say they don't like too much
light, though do need light to germinate.
I've started using LED grow lights- more light for the watt- and
they're MUCH brighter than fluorescent grow lights. I notice that
basil isn't happy with that much light, so I'm trying a dimmable
version.
(Aside for the geeks: the LEDs are in a series string, and the power
supply is constant current, so ought to be easy to dim; just add a
variable resistor to the current regulator.)
Does anybody know the proper lux value to do this, or will I just read
the light level and tweak until the impatiens aren't loking bleached?
TIA,
--
Gary Woods O- K2AHC Public keys at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic, or get 0x1D64A93D via keyserver
fingerprint = E2 6F 50 93 7B C7 F3 CA 1F 8B 3C C0 B0 28 68