Old 10-02-2021, 02:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Peter Burke Peter Burke is offline

Default Using soaker hose

Chris J Dixon wrote in
:

I have, with some success, been using a porous hose to water some
of my flower beds, as they are rather dry because of clay soil, a
neighbour's ivy hedge and trees in both gardens.

The side border is about 1 m x 8 m, leading to an area of about
20 sq m across the bottom of the garden.

I currently feed from the house, via a pressure reducer and
timer, to both ends of what is essentially a loop, down the side
border, leading to meanders to cover the most distant area.
Naturally, the pressure, and hence flow, drops off at the end of
the run.

I have treated 2 similar situations differently:

One with soaker hose running at (decent) full mains pressure suffering the
same problems I split one 35 odd metre length into a 20 and 15 by feeding
the centre point using a hose via a T which solved the balance problem.

The other I used a 12 or 15mm pressure reduced irrigation system backbone
with drip and spray irrigator spikes off short flexible stubs. V effective
as watering and flow could be targeted to areas that needed it most and I
felt this was the neater and possibly longer lasting solution.

I can look up sources if it would be useful.