Old 20-02-2021, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
TimW TimW is offline

Default Asparagus (wild?)

Way back in the olden days I recall walking of an evening out onto the
golf course with my grandfather and we would find in that area golfers
called 'the rough' eg not the short grass of the fairway and not in the
hedge either little spears of asparagus which we would cut and bring
home for tea. Now I am lucky enough to have a little bit of rough grass
out behind my house and I thought I might plant some asparagus along the
edge of the sth facing stone wall, not as a clultivated bed so much but
just as it might grow wild in the grass.

Is there such a thing as wild asparagus? Will a few crowns of gardeners
asparagus seed and spread? Could I grow from seed and disperse the
seedlings more? I am not in any particular hurry. What variety?

Tim W