Old 20-02-2021, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Asparagus (wild?)

In article , TimW wrote:

Is there such a thing as wild asparagus? Will a few crowns of gardeners
asparagus seed and spread? Could I grow from seed and disperse the
seedlings more? I am not in any particular hurry. What variety?

Yes. Back before global warming caused our weather to become wetter,
it had naturalised itself in my garden, and I hunted it from the
flower beds. It was also a fairly common weed in the vegetable patch.
Any variety will naturalise, but you must have plants of both sexes.
It likes very good drainage, so a very sandy or gravelly soil is best.
It is quite decorative, too, and grows to c. 4' with thin, feathery
leaves.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.