Old 21-02-2021, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance[_3_] David Rance[_3_] is offline

Default Asparagus (wild?)

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 10:56:58 Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Derek wrote:
On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 18:37:06 +0000, Bob Hobden
wrote:

On 20 Feb 2021 12:00, TimW wrote:
I might plant some asparagus along the
edge of the sth facing stone wall, not as a clultivated bed so much but
just as it might grow wild in the grass.

Would you be better putting in two or three crowns of standard
Asparugus, adding plenty of grit under the crowns to aid drainage, and
then just let them get on with it, in time they will self seed

as I said, you need plants of both sexes, and many commercial crowns
are male-only.

That's true! I don't think I've ever had a female plant among those that
I've bought over the years!

I'm wondering just how my asparagus in France is faring. I haven't seen
it for over a year and it doesn't look as though I can get over there
this year in the short term! :-(

David