Old 24-02-2021, 08:30 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

Default Using soaker hose

On 19/02/2021 09:37, Chris J Dixon wrot:
S wrote:

Its getting late now so tomorrow I will describe the system I use for my
outdoor veg patch.....

Prod me if I forget!

I'd be interested to read it.

Chris

OK, I have a veg patch. with a 25mm MDPE blue pipe water supply to it.

This is then fed into a 5m long 22mmm copper tube that runs along one
side of the veg patch.

At approx 30 cm intervals, there is a reducing Tee like this:

https://cdn.ecommercedns.uk/files/4/...33148/sc31.jpg

so I have a 4m long "manifold" with 14 of these and the last tee is one
of these

https://www.bes.co.uk/media/catalog/...n_6862_P_1.jpg

then there is a 25cm long 15mm pipe stub at the end with a 15 mm elbow
and a 2nd pipe stub.

Immediately after each Tee there is a washing machine valve like these:

https://www.tbsdirect.co.uk/images/ocw/pb04022l-xxl.jpg wiith a short 5
cm long 15mm pipe between the Tee and valve.

Then at this point, I fit either one of these depending on what I am
growing:

https://www.garden4less.co.uk/prodim...elock/2010.jpg for something
that needs irregular watering or is influenced by the weather conditions

or

for regular watering, one of these:

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1wCc3g...stem-21025.jpg

The beauty of this is that rather than have the veg patch watered all in
one go, I can stagger the watering across the patch to avoid low water
pressure problems

So carrots at 6.00 am daily, radishes at 7.00 am, spring onions at 8.00
am etc

Then after each count down timer or electronic timer, I fit one of these:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/14177...-1/s-l1000.jpg

then a hose pipe connector:

https://www.buycentral.com.au/wp-con...08244809-5.JPG

then a soaker hopse length is attached to this, and a stop end put on
the other end of the soaker hose.

So its effectively a zoned watering system designed to water veg that
are grown in rows like carrots and other root veg.

I do have some fruit bushes, and this is watered uysing the topology I
described for the greenhouse.

I'll try and put some images up on a free image hosting website and post
them later....