Old 04-03-2021, 04:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Snag Snag is offline

Default Another one bites the dust .

On 3/3/2021 8:03 PM, Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
Or "Let there be light !" Having determined that too much shade has been
part of my poor garden performance , I have embarked on a project to
change that . Today 3 small white oaks and one largish maple tree fell to
my chainsaw . The trees on our land are so close together that they grow
tall but not too big around , and often grow leaned to get light . That
was the case with the maple , and had it gone the wrong way I'd be
building a new shop . I think the ones I took out today are going to be
enough to get morning sun , but there are a couple more oaks on the west
side that I think will need to come out too - I started there before the
weather went crazy . I won't be able to get over there until it dries out
some , I've got bare clay from a septic drainage project done last summer
. And the trees won't be wasted , they're going on my firewood pile .

Would these oaks be the type you would use for smoking?

Mike

They could be used for smoking , but would need to be turned into
charcoal first . Woods used as wood for smoking are usually hickory ,
mesquite , and fruitwoods such as cherry or apple . I use hardwood lump
charcoal , never briquets . The woods I add are small quantities for
flavor - too much of any wood can make the meat taste bitter and like
creosote . Easy does it is the general rule .
Our land is heavily wooded with mostly red and white oak , plenty of
hickory and smaller numbers of other hardwoods . These trees I just cut
were NOT prime candidates for fire wood , but they were blocking the sun
from our garden . As much as I hated to harvest them , it is for the
greater good . I expect to gain as much as 3-4 hours more direct sun on
the garden . That IMO is more important than the loss of .001% of our
trees ... tomorrow I start tilling , prepping the new strawberry bed and
an area for cold-weather stuff like lettuce .
--
Snag
In 1775, the British demanded we give them our guns.