Old 16-04-2021, 04:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default ping songbird: how may pepper seeds?

On 4/15/21 4:45 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi Songbird,

I painstakingly collected seeds from my Anaheim (California)
peppers last fall. I followed collection your directions.

It is getting close to planting. I have to risk the
freezes and the hatching earwigs. Too soon the get
frostbite; too late they get eaten.

How many seeds would you plant per hole? I do five with zucchini, but
how many for hot peppers?

i'm not a pepper expert. they are warm weather plants
so you can't plant them outside into cold ground or chances of
cold weather at all.

start them early in pots indoors in a place where the soil
will be kept warm. that is about all i know about starting
them aside from the common sense that you don't want them
to be completely dried out.

Would you add a bit of organic fertilizer, or wait for
them to grow a bit first?

organic fertilizer is usually weak so perhaps ok but to
my habits i never fertilize anything until it is actively
growing unless i'm amending the garden for some specific
plants like tomatoes and onions which don't mind more
nutrients.

songbird

Thank you!