Old 30-04-2021, 10:47 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
charles charles is offline

Default Thinking abut a cordless hedgetrimmer

In article , Theo
wrote:
In uk.d-i-y Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
Here, that would involve around 4 or 5 recharges, so a 10 hour day
cutting, instead of the couple of hours work at present, we don't
really have that much hedge.

Lidl were doing cordless branch cutters, which had a small and light
3-cell (10.8v) lithium ion battery. The battery life was about 10
minutes of runtime (bearing in mind each branch takes a few seconds, and
most of the time is moving into position for the cut).

Problem was, one job I wanted to do was off-grid, but a petrol cutter
wasn't an option.

So I bought four of them (£25 each). That means I got four batteries and
four chargers. Enough for 40 mins of runtime. I had a car on-site that
I could use to power an inverter.

for my Ryobi kit, I have a charger that runs directly from a car battery

I could then charge batteries in relays - as one battery went flat I put
it on the charger and picked up a freshly charged one. Although I never
actually needed to do that in the end, and 1-2 batteries are enough for
most domestic jobs.

Theo

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England