Old 02-05-2021, 07:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Thinking abut a cordless hedgetrimmer

"charles" wrote in message
In article , NY wrote:
That doesn't equate with a vehicle's range with a tankful of petrol
compared to a battery full of leccy. And the battery weighs a lot more
than the petrol.

Bill

no, its fairly close - leccy cars have about 200 miles range and petrol
ones 400 - 600.

200 versus 400-600 is not "fairly close".

Not only do you have to recharge the battery more frequently, but every
time you have to wait many hours, as opposed to 5 mins max when filling
up with 60 litres of diesel. We have often done journeys of more than
200 miles, stopping only for brief loo breaks and maybe change of
driver. If we had to factor in a much longer recharging stop, a journey
of a few hours would turn into one with an overnight stop - or a long
stop at a place of interest along the way.

That, too, is my concern. If life returns to 'normal', I expect to do 2 or
3 long distance journeys each year.

Me too, and mostly at night too.

When cars have enough range to do a whole journey on one charging of the
battery, then they'll be a viable replacement. We'll probably never get
anywhere near the recharge rate of 60 litres of diesel (700 miles range)
in 5 minutes, but then that is several MW of power. But if charging
can be confined to overnight when you're not travelling (or 9-5 when
you're in the office) then it's no great hassle. But having to charge
during a journey is a definite disincentive to owning an electric car.

Longer advertised mileage ones appear to be coming, but they seem
to mostly "fashion statements" rather than useful vehicles.

Dunno about that last bit. That’s not really true of the longest range
Tesla,
but its got a stupid price.