Old 24-05-2021, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Garlic

On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 12:52:09 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
Last October mentioned garlic wife had planted wondering if it would
survive the winter cold and snow. Here it is the end of May and I
noticed wilting of a plant in a pot on the deck and I just pulled a
mature bulb from the pot.

Last year we put up a hoop house over my wife's garlic row. This was a plastic sheet over seven plastic hoops anchored to the ground with sections of rebar. The whole thing was about 24 feet long, 4 feet wide, and about 2 feet high at the high point in the middle of the hoops. The garlic grew under there, undisturbed for the winter. We live in Maryland, north of Baltimore and a few miles in from Chesapeake Bay. We had a mild winter but there were a few freezing periods and some snow flurries.

We uncovered the hoop house a couple of weeks ago and the garlic were growing very well. She's harvested much of it and has it on the drying rack at the moment.

Paul