Old 26-05-2021, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Need to do radical pruning to some rose bushes

On 26/05/2021 03:50, bilsch01 wrote:
Hello,
We have seven old rose bushes in a row about 3 feet apart. They are 6 to
7 feet tall and not very bushy. I want to make them much shorter and
hopefully bushier over time. I don't want to remove and replace these
bushes. I want to cut them down to 2 feet or less and work from there. I
suppose winter time is best for cutting. Does anyone have advice or
suggestions how I should proceed?

TIA.Â*Â* Bill S.

I did precisely this last autumn. Nearly all bushes are now showing new
growth. And the ones that are not were pretty much dead from
overshadowing already..

However such drastic pruning can be a bit risky: I have seen
recommendations on other shrubs to not take off more than 30% at one go

If you are prepared to take the risk, and replace anything that dies...I
would do it RIGHT NOW.

Roses are very tough.