Old 30-05-2021, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Stopping Reeds growing through Grass

On 28/05/2021 14:02, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
On 27/05/2021 11:51, john west wrote:

We have a stream that we have cleared away the reeds from the banks.

But now the reeds are growing up through the grass on the grassy banks.

Will continual mowing the reeds stop them eventually,Â* or is there a
better way ?Â*Â* Thanks.

Do you mean reeds (Phragmites australis) or one of the other big
marginal grasses - reed canary grass (Phragmites arundinaceus) or reed
sweet grass (Glyceria maxima)? Reed canary grass is the one that more
commonly grows on land as well as at the water's edge.

in general nothing over an inch survives constant mowing, but
selective weedkiller might work as well

You'd be hard pressed to find a weedkiller that killed reeds and not
other grasses. And using weedkiller near streams is not generally a good
idea.

No, I agree on both points.

I had a problem with some yarrow in my lawn that had been left to wild
after I left my (ex) wife in the house.

Glyphosate got it but killed the grass as well, but constant mowing has
allowed grass to grow back and the yarrow whilst still there, is merely
in patches, and not doing well.

In the end mowing is a highly selective weedkiller. Not much survives
regular mowing and nearly all that does is amenable to 'weed and feed'

--
“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the
other is to refuse to believe what is true.â€

—Soren Kierkegaard