Old 01-06-2021, 11:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default Blackberry prune questin

On 6/1/21 4:42 AM, Snag wrote:
On 6/1/2021 2:18 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

My Blackberry plants are three years old now (and
still no flowers or fruit).Â* Each spring, the branches
go green with leaves, but some don't.Â* On the dead
ones, do I let mother nature take its cource and
them fall off naturally or should I prune the dead
ones?

Many thanks,
-T

Â* If these are "wild" blackberries , they fruit on last year's growth .
Those canes die after fruiting and can be pruned - in fact they must be
pruned or you end up with a big mess of dead canes in the way of picking
any fruit . And I have the scars to prove it , that's why I planted
thornless .

They are Arapaho Blackberries.

Pruned they are!

I have new growth this year and some old growth
on old canes. Have no seen any flowers yet.

Canes. I never knew what those branches were
called.

Thank you!